Thursday, August 19, 2010

Baby? Puppy?

Before I say anything else, I must make it official that we are now waiting one additional day for our pup to come home. BUT, the good part is, we have an actual official date and time for homecoming, versus before when it was "probably some time on Saturday or maybe Sunday." Now: Sunday. 11 AM. YES!!!

Anyway...

When I was younger, I was notorious for mixing up "baby" and "puppy" when I was first starting to talk. I called my baby doll a puppy and stuffed puppies babies. We have it well-documented on video, "arguments" between myself and my mom - "baby" "puppy" "baby" "puppy." To this day, my mom and I aren't sure if I was being silly or if I was confused.

May as well be that I'm confused to this day! Chris and I aren't planning on children, so our puppy will be my "baby." Trust me, I hope not to be one of those people who act like their dog is a human child. (Especially because I wouldn't put a baby in a crate for 3 hours.) But this will be a pup that gets plenty of love and attention.

I also was thinking how interesting it is that the majority of reputable websites, books, ect. will encourage you strongly to avoid exposing your new puppy to too many new people at once, so that it won't be overwhelemed. It makes sense. Why do we do this to babies? Seriously! Go into a newborn's parents room at the hospital and just try to make it through the crowd of people! The baby is held by everyone in the world and sees every face Mom and Dad have ever known. Isn't interesting we don't express this new puppy advice to new parents? I guess because it isn't appropriate to tell new grandparents to give their kids space.

Needless to say, we're eager to show off our new family member too, but we'll be taking that advice as best as we can manage. I already have a line up of people that want in on meeting our little guy.

This upcoming weekend will be a huge one of preparations. We're trying to get everything packed up and away, especially my wonderful husband's collection of scale-model cars. You know what everything looks like to me right now? Chew toys in the making. We need to get some real ones! It's all coming soon!!!!

4 comments:

  1. So, your puppy comes home the day after mine goes back to college. Oh... wait ... that's my BABY ... oops - my bad. :o)

    THis is a fun blog - and I can't wait to see pics. Hopefully they'll show up - for some reason the one of Murphy is just a box with a red X in it ... :o(

    ReplyDelete
  2. wait ... now I'm confused - is it the 22nd or the 29th???

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey jacki, I like what you said about exposing real babies to so many people right after they are born. This reminded me of kydan when we were in the hospital. Everytime a new nurse came into the room that hadn't been in before he would start crying if the same nurse came in again he would be fine. I guess because he didn't recognize the new voice or something. Anyway, yeah I didn't like being around so many people the first month after he was born and you have a good point.

    ReplyDelete